It must have been the book 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil', or all the Hollywood movies, I feel the need to discover more of North America, the heart land. I have no baggage, I have no hang ups. I was born and raised in Italy. I am capable to accepting people of all personalities, as long as they are good people. I believe that in the world the majority of people are of a good nature, and those are the people I want to meet on this trip.
I love to make connections, whether we are soaking in the campground jacuzzi, or waiting in a museum line, or having a beer in a bar. I love a good story.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Day 61 - Savannah: Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room, Telfair Museum, Bonaventure Cemetery

There is a super famous restaurant in Savannah that everyone knows as you can see from the people waiting outside. I never do this, not even in San Francisco, but since we are here, I am waiting in the cold before the opening hour. The restaurant is Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room. It's open from 11 am to 2 pm. If you are still in line by closing time, too bad, see you tomorrow. The menu is fixed. The only thing you get to choose is the dessert: peach cobbler or banana pudding. You get to sit with another 10 strangers in a round table as two girls bring to the table plates of fried chicken, ribs, collard greens, butter beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and cucumber salad, red rice, mac and cheese, coleslaw,and so many other bowls of cooked goodness that I can't remember. It was all delicious! The strangers became our friends. We noticed that some New Yorkers have a different sense of humor that might bump with the southern hospitality. They can't help it.

Line at 10:45 am

...while waiting


President Barrack Obama sat on this chair
I didn't know that before going but this is the video.
I ate so much, I hated myself. It was too good to pass. Now we had to work it out with a nice walk.
We took the city walking tour with Free Tour By Foot. We had an awesome tour guide and at the end we had a little discussion next to the Confederate Statue in Forsyth Park...very instructive...😯







Last sight to see for the day was the Telfair Museum, which was the first public art museum of the Southern States. This cannot be confused with the modern building across the street, the Jepson Center for the Arts. The ticket is valid for both.

Telfair


Yes, this is the statue on the cover of the book 'Midnight in the garden of good and evil'. It was originally at the Bonaventure cemetery, but it had to be removed because it was so famous with the tourists.




We had to go to the Bonaventure Cemetery, but we were too late. It closed at 5 pm.



Here we strolled around the river walk.





Waving Girl Statue was about a real girl that had lost her fiancee at sea and waived to all the boats to see if he had come back.

Waving Girl Statue. 


Oldest House in Savannah. The flag is Irish.

No comments:

Post a Comment