It must have been the book 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil', or all the Hollywood movies, I feel the need to discover more of North America, the heart land. I have no baggage, I have no hang ups. I was born and raised in Italy. I am capable to accepting people of all personalities, as long as they are good people. I believe that in the world the majority of people are of a good nature, and those are the people I want to meet on this trip.
I love to make connections, whether we are soaking in the campground jacuzzi, or waiting in a museum line, or having a beer in a bar. I love a good story.

Friday, March 1, 2019

Day 56 - Okefenokee Swamp: Stephen C Foster State Park, Billy's lake, Minnie's lake

When the weather man says that there is a 60% chance of rain, in California we take the news as a blessing and then dismiss it because in any case it's going to look like spits from the sky. Not the case in Georgia, especially if you are sitting in the middle of a swamp. But then again we are a middle-aged couple that has gone into a middle-age crisis together and have a passion not for danger but with pushing our luck! We are not going to tell the story about last summer when we almost... because we really wanted to do a ferrata in the middle of a thunder storm in the Dolomites.
Here the place is different but the story line is similar.
So today we went back to Millie's lake because I thought I didn't spend enough time inside that magical world since we had to return the kayak by 5 pm.
This time we rented a canoe. We first read the manual online to be good canoe mates and work together to have the best experience. That worked out really well: me at the bow as the power engine, and Bill at the stern as helmsman. I was to paddle and draw, he was to sweep and draw. We were cool, we were doing a great job...until it commenced to rain, actually it was more like someone had turned on a hose on us. Luckily we were able to get to the Minnie's lake shelter before we got too wet. So now we had to wait it out...for an hour. I can safely say that this time I had the chance to spend enough time in this magical world.




Stormy adventures is the way we roll!


Along the way, we were lucky to encounter many beautiful creatures including baby gators all bunched up together.

Barred Owl, no zooming involved in this picture





Never-wet flowers, the only member of the Orontium genus.



pond-cypress knees

4 comments:

  1. O my goodness...You had quite an adventure and were very brave going into the swamps in a kayak!! Great photos of the alligators, owl, ibis cormorant and other swamp life! Love the sounds of the water as you were paddling along....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew gators could be so cute. :-) and that owl picture. Awwwwwe. We love the way you roll!

    But very glad you didn’t roll into the swamp from your canoe. :-) h&l

    ReplyDelete
  3. No we didn't. Amazing enough we made it without falling in. Anyways the water is only few feet deep and slightly acidic from the tree tannins.

    ReplyDelete