It must have been the book 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil', or all the Hollywood movies, I feel the need to discover more of North America, the heart land. I have no baggage, I have no hang ups. I was born and raised in Italy. I am capable to accepting people of all personalities, as long as they are good people. I believe that in the world the majority of people are of a good nature, and those are the people I want to meet on this trip.
I love to make connections, whether we are soaking in the campground jacuzzi, or waiting in a museum line, or having a beer in a bar. I love a good story.

Monday, March 4, 2019

Day 59 - Savannah: Forsyth park, Colonial Park Cemetery, Owens-Thomas House & Slave Quarters

This morning we are ready to explore this town from top to bottom. I have my sneakers on and my google day trip planner on my phone. We need to get our steps in. 
Savannah's heart is a rectangular historical district, facing the Savannah river, starting from the river walk market, and growing south as the city got larger. At each addition, homes were added together with their own squares, which functioned as public spaces for communal kitchens and places of business. There are currently 22 squares, shaded by live oak trees covered by silvery Spanish moss, shading manicured gardens studded by blooming azaleas, all framing either a statue or a fountain.
This district is the largest National Historic Landmark District in the United States. The city has no skyscrapers, or even tall buildings. The streets are covered in cobblestones. Its colonial style homes ooze of history. Walking is the only way to see this city and this is the most relaxing walk you can have.  

We park around Forsyth park. We walk down on Whitaker Street. 

Live Oaks

Wright Square



We stopped by the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of the Girl Scouts of America.



We wondered around the Colonial Park Cemetery. 



The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
We took the tour of the Owens-Thomas House & Slave Quarters.
The house had been restored, through painstaking research on all the details, from the drapery to the wall paper and stairs runner. The slaves quarters had been restored and their story was told extensively.












We walked back to Forsyth park, and took some time by a monument dedicated to all the Confederate Soldiers who died during the civil war. I took several pictures. It might not be around next time 😉

Confederate Monument


By the end of the day I had done almost 19,961 steps, as recorded on my Google fit!

3 comments:

  1. The parks and squares and gardens look lovely! Just like you pictured them? Spanish moss and all. So glad you made it all the way to savannah. Your dream and a dreamy city! h&l

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with h&l. Glad you made it to Savannah. I've never been. Looks like something to put on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good biography of Juliette Gordon Low...I will give it to you!
    Wow Savannah must be so beautiful....

    ReplyDelete