It must have been the book 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil', or all the Hollywood movies, I feel the need to discover more of North America, the heart land. I have no baggage, I have no hang ups. I was born and raised in Italy. I am capable to accepting people of all personalities, as long as they are good people. I believe that in the world the majority of people are of a good nature, and those are the people I want to meet on this trip.
I love to make connections, whether we are soaking in the campground jacuzzi, or waiting in a museum line, or having a beer in a bar. I love a good story.

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Day 58 - Savannah: Good Times Jazz Club

In 1994, the book "Midnight in the garden of good and evil" came out and it became the longest-standing New York Times Best-Seller. I estimated that it was right around then or maybe a year later before the movie came out that I read it. Well, that's how long I have been waiting to visit this town.
I got immediately sucked into the story and fell in love with this place.
I can't believe it, I am finally here, after travelling for almost two months across the states.
But we are exhausted and we need to do some house keeping, like laundry, grocery shopping, blogging and cat issues. Some unnamed cat is not happy with her litter box...
So we spent most of the day taking care of things.
Yesterday after the long trip from Okefenokee, we wondered around the river walk. It was really busy with folks enjoying the weekend with drinks and music in the many pubs along the Savannah river. We turned in early too tired to fight the crowd.

Today it's Sunday and it's the right time to celebrate and go out for a fancy dinner after running errands.
Hopefully the crowd has reduced. Folks need to go home and get ready for their working week. Come on, get a move on!

We chose a restaurant not far from the city market, Good Times Jazz Bar.
The food was excellent. I had pan-fried catfish with collard greens and Savannah red rice, Bill had the same but with a side dish of country butter beans and okra.
The jazz band was The Eric Jones Trio with jazz violinist Ricardo Ochoa.

It was the perfect thing to do for an amazing introduction to food and music.
Ochoa played several tracks and, before each, he gave us a small introduction about famous jazz violinists and their style. He told us stories about Eddy South, Stuff Smith and Stéphane Grappelli.
Then they just played jazz, some taking off known songs like 'You are the sunshine of my life' from Stevie Wonder. What a treat!

This video does not represent how well they play. Eric Jones. the bass player and the drummer are very talented musicians. I highly recommend this place and the band.


1 comment: