It must have been the book 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil', or all the Hollywood movies, I feel the need to discover more of North America, the heart land. I have no baggage, I have no hang ups. I was born and raised in Italy. I am capable to accepting people of all personalities, as long as they are good people. I believe that in the world the majority of people are of a good nature, and those are the people I want to meet on this trip.
I love to make connections, whether we are soaking in the campground jacuzzi, or waiting in a museum line, or having a beer in a bar. I love a good story.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Day 44 - Houston: NASA

Our plan today - visit the NASA Space Center in Houston - the reality, we left too late, noon, and scrambled to see all the exhibits :/ We didn't realize that this weekend is Presidents Day, so a lot of people were out seeing the sites. The Johnson Space Center tram line was an hour long, and then after the hour visit we waited to get back to the main center, so about half of our stay was used up. Still we saw many very cool things and several movies playing in various theaters in the Space Center.

After learning how astronauts sleep (at all angles), eat (packaged food), drink (their own filtered urine!), exercise (2 hours per day), I decided that I'm glad I'm not an astronaut! Plus there are a lot of things that can go wrong, with possibly deadly outcomes. We saw a film about an Italian astronaut, Luca Parmitano, that almost drowned on a space walk because his spacesuit's water-cooled liner had a leak :( Anyways I'm really glad some people are doing this amazing and adventurous job for us!

Entrance with space shuttle atop Boeing 747

Johnson Space Center building, collegiate style campus

Inside the old Apollo testing area

Apollo test computers, a whopping total of 1MB of data! :)

I wonder what the test "urine dump nozzle" button does?

Data archive for Apollo, no flash drives back then!


Open space shuttle image

The back of an intact Apollo rocket, never used

Francesca touching a real moon rock!

Hello my precious! (big meteorite)

A Robonaut (it may happen...)

Toilet like that used on the International Space Station (ISS)

Picture of an ISS mission with an Italian astronaut (Luca Parmitano) who almost died on a space walk due to a space suit malfunction (the near drowning incident)

Samantha Cristoforetti, Italian astronaut with longest time in space record until 2017 (when another female astronaut broke the record)



Top of Apollo rocket with command module


Side view of Apollo rocket



3 comments:

  1. Is the Saturn 5 still on display? On it's side outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on display inside a building. On the outside there are test model of rockets.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Lots of interesting facts and photos of the Space Center! Especially interesting to me is the Space Station with so many countries and agencies participating! And the Italian astronauts are awesome!

    ReplyDelete